A country I had heard of, but knew absolutely nothing about. A place where when I began to research I found has the highest point between the Himalayas and New Guinea (Mt. Kinabalu-13,436 feet above sea level.)
A country full of culture, delicious food, rain forest trekking, river safari tours teaming with wildlife, stunning scuba diving, and magnificent night markets.
How could we choose anywhere else?
I am beyond excited.
This is what I know:
1. We decided on East Malaysia also known as Borneo, Malaysia because of our desire to hike, explore the rain forest, and scuba dive. First: We fly into Kuala Lumpur- Malaysia’s capital. Then we’ll catch another flight to East Malaysia.
2.We will be doing 2 or 3 scuba dives here (not sure which islands yet! There are 5 in Tunku Marine Park):
3. We will be attempting to climb Kota Kinabalu in ONE day- the tallest point between the Himalayas and New Guinea at 13,436 feet above sea level. We found the inspiration to hike in one day here. If you are a new reader you can track our hiking treks on Tom’s blog.
4. We will visit the Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary- Where orangutans are rehabilitated back to independent wildlife living. Can’t wait to see these amazing animals 🙂
5. We will be taking a river safari down the Kinabatangan River- to hopefully spy some Pygmy Elephants ( we would have to be really lucky!), crocodiles, birds, and maybe even a proboscis monkey.
6. Visit the night markets! In both Kuala Lumpur and Kota Kinabalu.
–This much I know.
I know we are so excited to head to Malaysia in just 5 short weeks! We are going into the trip with an outline of a plan. Hoping for the best…expecting the worst. We will have a some what flexible schedule, but embarking on this adventure with the idea that the BEST adventures are the ones that aren’t planned, and the understanding that ANYTHING can change in a second.
Here is to an incredible adventure ahead with my husband… Off of the beaten path!